How to Clean Window Sills & Tracks | Deep Cleaning Hacks
When we make a checklist of cleaning households, most of the time unintentionally, we forget to include cleaning window sills. The window is the primary feature of our house. Apart from the door, it is the only natural way of ventilation in the room.
Due to moving air, window sills and tracts collect plenty of dirt, dust, dead bugs, and pollen. If you do not clean the window sills and tracks regularly, it can build even black mold and nasty gunk.
Have you ever tried to clean the window sills and tracks of your house? If no, then you may think it is quite a tough job. But the reality is you can clean your window sills in the most natural way using only a few minutes. Surprising! Follow us to know the easy cleaning methods.
The easiest way to clean window sills
If it is your first effort to clean window sills, then you must need some easy ways. Very simple tools and some common kitchen ingredients are enough to reach your goal. You just follow our window sill cleaning tips and get rid of the dirt and gunk.
A vacuum can be an easy solution
A vacuum is a very common and popular home appliance. It is also very useful for cleaning window sills and tracks. Attach the brush attachment to the vacuum. Vacuum those areas of the window where dirt is stored.
Try to remove dust as much as possible. You should also suck up the other trash like dead bugs. If your vacuum is not too much powerful, then use compressed air to blow away the dirt.
You should notice-
- Pay extra attention to cleaning drapes and blinds since they store maximum dust among the window areas.
- Do not forget to clean the window track also. Otherwise, plenty of dirt, pollen, dry leaves, and other unwanted things can jam the tracks.
- You should use duster or microfiber cloth for wiping window sills and glass. It will help you to remove debris and dirt easily and faster.
Cleaning window sills with vinegar and baking soda
Vinegar and baking soda are the most common ingredients of our kitchen. Both can make your cleaning prompt and give your window sills a shiny look.
Take a toothbrush to rub the window sills. Pour some vinegar in an empty spray bottle. Add a few drops on the window sills and tracks. Now rub with the toothbrush and give a new look to your window.
Backing soda is also very useful in household cleaning. Sprinkle some baking soda over the infected areas. Take a paper towel and wipe out gunk and other sticky dirt.
You should notice-
- You should use a clean toothbrush.
- Use some dish liquid instead of vinegar and baking soda.
- A Paper towel is also suitable for wiping like a microfiber cloth. You should repeat the whole process until the area cleans thoroughly.
Use of hot water and dish soap
A solution of hot water and dish soap are also very useful to clean the window sills and the tracks appropriately. Make a solution of warm water and dish soap and dip your scrubbing brush into it. Now scrub the dirty areas until the last spot of dirt and gunk removed.
Take a microfiber cloth and soak into the hot water. Wipe correctly and remove any leftover spot. Repeat the whole process if needed.
You should notice-
- Do not forget to clean the corners and wipe the vertical tracks.
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe the leftover dish soap.
Deep window sills cleaning hacks
Sometimes window sills store harder grime and stubborn dirt that has built up over time. In this situation, you may need to deep clean the window.
- Take a gallon of water into a bucket. Make a solution of one-fourth cup of Pinesol or any other all-purpose cleaner with the water.
- Dip a soft microfiber cloth into the solution and wipe the sills. The fabric should not runoff excess water; otherwise, you have to remove much dirty water.
- Use a small size brush to remove harder and stubborn dirt and grime. Use a new brush to clean the edges and corners correctly.
- Dry the window sills with a microfiber cloth.
How to clean mold from window sills
Black mold is a very common problem of window sills, and it is mostly seen in wooden sills. Follow the bellow stated method to get rid of the black mold of window sills.
- At first, you need to make a mold killing solution. Take a bucket to pour a half cup of Borax, half a cup of plain white vinegar, and two cups of warm water into it. Mix them well and pour the mixture into an empty bottle.
- Spray the mixture over the infected areas. If you do not manage an empty spray bottle, soak a microfiber cloth into the mixture and apply it onto the spotty areas.
- Let the mixture sit on the sills for at least 10 minutes.
- Take a clean brush and scrub the mold to remove it from each corner. Do not forget to scrub the corners and crevices.
- You can repeat the entire process if necessary.
How to clean window tracks
Cleaning window tracks are also similarly crucial, as the sills. Sometimes we give less importance on cleaning tracks; as a result, a gummed and so dirty track. Follow the below-listed tips and get a clean, dirt free window tracks.
- Use vacuum to remove loose debris, dust, dead bugs, dry leave, and pollen stuck on the track. The brush attachment of the vacuum will be the best option for vacuum.
- Take a spoon full of baking soda and sprinkle over the infected areas. Now wet the baking soda with some vinegar. Let it soak for at least 15 minutes. Allow to bubble it.
- Take an old toothbrush and scrub the loosen gunk. You can also use a stiff nylon brush. Take a damp microfiber cloth, wipe the wet debris or use a vacuum to suck it.
- Check there is any remaining debris or not. If yes, take a tiny bristle brush and scrub the corners you can hardly reach.
- Finally, wipe the tracks with a cloth and get rid of the last spot of the window track.
- Last but not the list, you need to lubricate the track so that the window slides smoothly. It is an essential part of cleaning window tracks. If it is a vinyl track, a little amount of silicone lubricant will be perfect. If the tracks are wooden, you should use an appropriate wax. Now close and re-open the window several times. In this way, the lubricant will spread over the track correctly.
To clean window sills properly, add the above-listed cleaning methods to your household maintenance. You should dust the window sills along with the track each time when you run your household cleaning. Good knowledge of how to clean the window sills and tracks takes just a few minutes to give a new shiny look like new.
The window is an unavoidable feature of a house. It is also a large container of storing dust and cobwebs. So, keep your home clean and tidy by clean properly the window sills.