Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Cleanser Review | Magical Cleaner
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Cleanser is a popular product from the renowned brand Bar Keepers Friend. Originated in 1882, the company started with this very product and since then, it has gained popularity and trust as a household cleaning agent. As the name suggests, it’s a powdery solution that can effectively remove rust, limescale, tough stains, minerals from almost any kind of surface.
As a multi-purpose cleaner, Bar Keepers Friend has a variety of use. Especially for steel, cookware, and non-porous surfaces, this product can clean off anything you may face difficulties to remove. You can use it in your kitchen supplies, sink, cooktops, countertops, bathroom basin, toilet, faucet, taps, and similar areas.
It’s a bleach-free product which makes it gentle, yet powerful in many ways. In this article, we’re going to talk about the product, its features, how to use Bar Keepers Friend, and where to use it.
Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Cleanser | Product Description
Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Cleanser is one of the most effective rust, grease, and stain removers in the market. The powdered substance is super easy to use and it cleans in just a matter of minutes. Since it’s bleach-free, it’s not corrosive and therefore, doesn’t damage the surface. Overall, it’s safe and efficient at the same time, making this an excellent choice for your must-have household cleaning kit.
- Item Form: Powder
- Weight: 75 Pounds
- Item Volume: 12 Fluid Ounces
- Scent: Unscented
- Ingredients: Mineral Abrasive, Oxalic Acid, Surfactant, Water-Softening Agent
- Health Facts: Ammonia-Free, Phosphorus-Free, Bleach-Free, Non-Toxic
This powdered cleaner is especially effective on cookware, cooktop, pots, basically any steel or metal out of the kitchen. We know how dirty the pots can get after use. That grimy, greasy cooking pans are super easy to clean with Bar Keeper Friend and give them a new, polished look. You can clean your oven, sink, cooktops to remove not just dirt and grease, but also the toughest stains.
It’s also effective in cleaning hard water stains, mineral deposits, toilet stains, rust that can be found in the bathroom. Cleaning outdoor surfaces and tools are effortless with this miracle cleaning agent. Clean your vehicles, boats, BBQ grills, tools, and equipment leaving no chance of tarnish to grow.
How to Use Bar Keepers Friend
Similar to the product itself, it’s easy to apply and clean with the Bar Keepers Friend cleanser. Follow a simple guideline to use it effectively.
- Fairly wet the surface, object, or area you want to clean.
- Take your powdered cleaning agent and sprinkle a small amount over the damp surface.
- Rub and apply the powder gently with a damp cloth, sponge, or towel. As you do, it will form a paste over the surface. Make sure to cover the areas completely. Add more powder if needed and apply accordingly.
- After the paste is applied, leave it for a minute to work.
- Rinse thoroughly afterward. It usually takes just one application to clean and polish.
- Wipe the surface with dry cloths.
You can use this simple method for almost any tough cleaning needs regarding rust, grime, grease, lime, tarnish, stubborn stains, mold, and so on. The best thing about the powder is that it’s strong enough to tackle even a greasy grill and gentle enough to be used on glasses. Use it on your stainless steel pot, ceramic basin, porcelain toilet bowl, or even on your shower glass door; it’s up to you.
Different Uses of Bar Keepers Friend
As the manufacturer suggests, you can use the product in kitchen appliances, bathrooms, outdoor, and non-porous surfaces. We’ve already shared a regular instruction for cleaning with it, now let’s look at the different uses.
For cleaning kitchen appliances like pots and pans, our guidelines above should do fine. But if you want to clean something like the oven or your stainless steel refrigerator, how would you do it? It’s simple. Damp a clean cloth or rag, and sprinkle some powder on it. Then rub your desired cleaning area gently with the cloth. It’ll form a paste with an application, clean grime, stains, and anything. Afterward, take a clean damp cloth and wipe the cleaner residue carefully.
For cleaning the shower, toilet bowl, or basin; sprinkle some of the powder and leave for a couple of minutes. Once it’s set, use a scrub brush to take off toilet bowl stains, hard water stains, and shine your bathroom. You can use the same method to clean your floor, tile, grout (non-colored), and others.
Things to Consider
- It causes mild skin irritation and is harmful to the eye. You can still use Bar Keepers Friend with bare hands, but we recommend putting on disposable gloves. If it touches your skin, just rinse with water and you should be fine.
- Keep out of children, pets, and of course, your eyes.
- Consider testing in a small, inconspicuous area before cleaning fiberglass, plastics, anodized aluminum, brushed metal surfaces, or appliance exteriors.
- NEVER mix with bleach, ammonia, or alkaline products.
Where to or NOT to Use Bar Keepers Friend
While you can use the product to clean almost anywhere in the house, there are a few surfaces you shouldn’t. Let’s take a look at them both.
Where to Use
- Stainless steel
- Brass, bronze, copper alloys
- Stove cooktops and exteriors
- Countertops (non-stone)
- Porcelain or ceramic dishes
- Bathtubs and showers
- Tile and grout (not recommended for colored grout)
- Plant and pollution grime
- Vehicles and boats (test first)
- Brake dust on wheels (test first)
- Sporting equipment
Where NOT to Use
- Gold or silver
- A polished stone such as marble or granite
- Colored grout
- Lacquered, painted, or mirrored surfaces
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Bar Keepers Friend the same as Comet?
No. Bar Keepers Friend is far less toxic than Comet as it uses natural acids to clean surfaces rather than chemicals.
Is Bar Keepers Friend toxic?
Bar Keepers Friend’s main cleaning ingredient is Oxalic acid, which is considered safe. It also contains linear sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate, considered a toxic substance. So technically, being as safe as possible, it can be toxic.
How do I make Bar Keepers Friend paste?
Pour some powder into a cup, mix a teaspoon of water, and blend to form Bar Keepers Friend paste.
What happens if you leave Bar Keepers Friend on too long?
It is recommended not to leave Bar Keepers Friend on a surface for more than one minute. It can cause irritation, discoloration, and essentially dull the area.
Is Bar Keepers Friend the same as baking soda?
No. While Bar Keepers Friend is biodegradable and safe, it uses Oxalic acid which is more abrasive than baking soda, and therefore, rougher upon application.
Whether you have grime, grease, rust, tough stains to take care of, Bar Keepers Friend is the multi-surface solution you’re looking for. It’s effortless to use, versatile, and costs just a few bucks. We recommend getting this product in your everyday cleaning kit because it definitely is worth the name, Friend.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.