4 Effective Methods To Get Furniture Dents Out Of Carpet
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whenever you desire to make a new layout of your furniture in the living room or bedroom, but the carpet still recalls its position. Keeping heavy furniture on the carpet for an extended period leaves dents which can be frustrating. The furniture compresses the fiber and causes a form of an indentation that reminds the furniture standpoint.
Dents on the carpet are not a new thing. Most carpet owners have experienced the situation. But the great news is you get the furniture dents out of carpet without any special equipment. Actually, there are a few methods you can try out. This article is here to notify you about these beneficial methods.
How to get furniture dents out of carpet?
Furniture dents on the carpet are quite unpleasant. These dents occur when the furniture doesn’t move for months or years. While rearranging them, the dents are noticeable and you can’t hide them again. It becomes essential to deal with the problem. We will give four useful methods in this regard. Here they are:
1. Vacuum Cleaner
Utilizing a vacuum cleaner is the very first step that you can take. This is effective for light furniture dents. The vacuum cleaner brings back the indented areas. Who has a carpet in the home must have a vacuum cleaner. So if you have a cleaner, then you must try this as a first step.
- After moving the furniture, use fingers and loosen up the fibers.
- Attach a hose to the cleaner.
- Apply a strong suction setting so that it can raise the fibers.
- Apply it at least two-three times for better results.
A blow dryer adds volume to your hair, just like you can restore and add volume to your carpet. It will eradicate the dents and give the original bounce to the smooth carpet fiber. You need only a hairdryer and a spray bottle of water.
- Spray water to the carpet indention spots.
- Rinse the carpet fiber well.
- Then set the hair blower in the highest setting and dry the wet carpet.
- Hold the hairdryer 4 or 5 inches above the carpet so that it won’t burn the fiber and dry efficiently.
- After drying thoroughly, fluff the carpet fiber using your finger.
3. Ice Cubes
The most cost-effective method is using ice cubes for removing carpet dents. Most users have claimed this technique works the most on the carpet fiber. Here you need a few items like some ice cubes, a coin or spoon, and a sponge.
- Place an ice cube on the dent spot and do the same on each dent spot. If the dent is deeper then add a few cubes.
- Leave the ice cube for 1 or 2 hours to melt naturally. Meanwhile, the carpet fiber gradually soaks the water and completely rinses.
- With a sponge, blot the spot to absorb the water from the carpet fiber. Blot well until there is no moisture in the carpet.
- Then gently lift the carpet fiber with a coin.
4. Steam Iron
Steam iron is beneficial to remove dents easily. But there is a risk of burning fiber with excessive heat. But you can get off very difficult dents with this method. So you need to be careful with the iron.
- Rinse a clean white towel with water and wring well to remove the excessive water.
- Lay down the moist towel on the damp area.
- Fix the iron with medium heat.
- Carry the iron a few inches upper the carpet and wait for a minute. Don’t put the iron on the wet towel, it can damage the carpet fiber.
- When the rinse towel starts stemming, then understand it is working.
- After a few minutes remove the towel.
- Gently brush the carpet fiber to restore the carpet.
Read next: Carpet cleaning without moving furniture
How to resist furniture dents on the carpet?
Furniture dents in the carpet look awful. On the other hand, it needs efforts to remove dents. So it will be wise if you take the necessary steps to resist the furniture dents. Here are some efforts that you can put up immediately to prevent dents.
In the market, you will find small flat disks that are put under the furniture legs. These disks flatten the weight in the broader place from each leg. When the weight is not centered, there will be no dents on the carpet.
Vacuum the carpet regularly, not only when it is dirty but also restore the fiber. Use a suction hoover to the vacuum in the deep indentation areas. The vacuum helps to resist further dents.
A high-quality carpet can endure heavy furniture weight and stains. So choose a high-density carpet with a shorter pile. A high-density carpet has a longer lifespan than a low-density carpet.
Padding under the carpet gives you comfort as well as helps to prevent furniture dents. When you add padding on the carpet and place the furniture on the top, it will absorb the furniture’s weight and prevent dents from the rug. You will get padding in different thicknesses, so you will need to choose the right consistency. Typically, most choose between 6.3 and 11 mm thick.
Move carpet frequently
If you move the heavy furniture every 1-2 months, you can prevent dents from the carpet. If you keep heavyweight furniture in the same position for a longer time, it causes carpet dents. So move them frequently to get rid of the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are carpet dents permanent?
When you move the furniture after an extended period, the carpet will dent for the heaviness of the furniture. But this indentation is not permanent. These dents can be removed by following several moisture-based solutions. We have mentioned the methods that will help to restore the carpet fiber.
What can you keep under furniture legs to protect the carpet?
As carpet gets dents because of furniture weight, so you need to take some actions to protect the carpet. The most effective way is the coasters control – sometimes called coaster cups. Small size coaster cups are specifically made for furniture dents. You can put them on the furniture legs, and it will distribute the weight evenly on the carpet surface. Thus, you can protect your carpet from dents.
How do you get furniture dents out of wool carpet?
Wool carpet contains natural elements. So you can follow the steaming process to remove dents. Rinse a towel in the water and lay down on the affected areas. Switched on the iron in medium heat or cotton setting. Then move the iron over the damp towel frequently until the towel dries. Then lift up the dents with your finger.
How to remove furniture dents from synthetic carpet?
You can not use iron or any kind of heat on the synthetic carpet as it will burn quickly. So you need to follow the ice cube methods to lift the carpet fiber. Place an ice cube and let it melt. Then blot it with a cloth and lift the carpet fiber.
Furniture dents on the carpet can be removed in many ways. We have given you four effective methods that you can try without spending money. These techniques will eradicate the dents in just a few minutes. However, along with removing the dents, you need to work on preventing the issue. In this article, we have presented 5 useful ways that will resist furniture dents.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.